Friday, April 28, 2006

The weather in Florida

I left in Scott's truck to pick up some pizza for tonight's dinner. I looked at the sky, which promised rain. But in Florida, what looks to be promising rain is more like a tease. I was going to say it was a lie, however, that would not be correct. One just has to learn to read the skies in Florida, and I am not sure anyone has that art down yet.

I was hoping it would rain. It has been 2 weeks and 2 days since our last rain. That was a Thursday. I remember it well. Our lawn service had just been by, although they had already been by in March. Joel had been by to pick up my kids to take them to their homeschool athletic class. He dropped off his daughters in exchange. My oldest daughter was staying home with me. I heard thunder in the distance and reluctantly unplugged the modem, the televisions, and the replay machines. Not long after the rains came down. I made sure the buckets were in place, since we are still suffering from the effects of Wilma. Then the storm passed. I was hoping for a little bit longer storm, for the grass, but it was ok. Not long after, I went outside. I don't remember why. They sky was green. It was still. I looked up at the sky and the clouds were swirling. My stomach dropped. I shooed my daughter inside and said, there's going to be a tornado. I quickly prayed that there wouldn't be and that our house would be kept safe. Then the winds came. They were strong and reminded me of Wilma, which frightened me and made me wish that Scott was home. I sent him a text message alerting him to the storm. When he called me back I asked if he thought the kids were safe at the park. He assured me that they would be fine.

I heard this awful noise at our front window and thought for sure that the wind was going to bust it in. The rain was blowing right at the window and I couldn't see out. But I realized that what I was hearing was hail. Yes, hail in Florida. It happens about once a year. Joel brought the kids home early. The class was dismissed because of the storm, and yes, a tornado was sighted.

So, that was it. We hadn't had rain since. And our grass is cruchy. Nice description, huh? Well, it is. We had been hoping for rain so we wouldn't have to run the sprinklers.

Oh, yeah, back to my trip to get pizza. I'm driving down the road and I realize, a mile from my house, that the road is wet. No rain in sight, but the road is wet a mile from my house. Now, why coudn't have rained at my house???

*sigh* You know that song, "Have you ever seen the sun on a rainy day?" I have one for you, "Have you ever seen the rain on a rainy day?" Because I sure didn't.

No comments: