Thursday, September 14, 2006

His soul could no longer endure

I've been reading the book of Judges. It is interesting to read how the Israelites would follow the Lord under one judge, but then go back to worshipping false gods under another. And the Lord looks on that like adultery. His anger would burn against Israel and He would deliver them into the hands of their enemies. And after a few years, they would cry out for deliverance.


In Judges 10:14-16, the Lord responds to the cries saying, "Go and cry out to the gods which you have chosen; let them deliver you in your time of distress." The children of Israel admit that they have sinned and deserve whatever the Lord will do to them, but they plead for deliverance. They then put away the foreign gods and served the Lord. And His soul could no longer endure the misery of Israel.


So, because the Lord had a covenant with them and because they were His chosen people, He could not turn from them. Even though His anger burned hot against them for turning from Him to false gods. When they finally came back and served Him, He could no longer endure their misery.


I take comfort in knowing that when I put my trust in anything but Him, I can still return and He will not be able to endure my misery. The knowledge also helps me to not want to turn from Him and serve Him even more. Think about it. God's soul could no longer endure their misery. His love is so great that when His children turn back to him, He is not able to endure their misery. THAT's the God I want to serve.

No comments: